Fencing is a specialized sport with many fine, precise movements that require attention to positive practice methods and good technique. Individual lessons are the best way to refine technique and build on instruction from group lessons. Weekly or bi-weekly lessons can drastically increase the application of fencing skills that quickly turn into increased joy of fencing participation.
There is no correct order or time in which to begin participation in lessons, tournaments or open bouting. Much depends on the age and interest level of the fencer, family budget, and competitive desires.
Benefits of starting individual lessons include:
- one-on-one attention of coach
- scheduling flexibility
- rapid growth in new skill
- increase in self awareness
- increase in focus/attention span
- increase in joy of participation
When an athlete decides they want to train as a competitor, benefits of taking regular lessons, along side competing and regular training classes can include:
- feelings of great accomplishment
- feeling of being connected to something greater than one’s self
- increase in self-esteem
- increase in ability to connect to a greater world (ex. NCAA school recruitment, national and international travel)
- greater understanding of how to problem solve
- increase in time management skills
Please visit our Online Store for more options, including booking recurring lessons as well as purchasing bundled lesson cards for our members.
Lesson recommendations include for a national competitor are a minimum of two to three, 30 minute lessons weekly. We offer lessons in packages of nine for 20 and 30 minutes to support your level of fencing interest. A twenty minute lesson card costs $270 and a thirty minute lesson card costs $405. Lessons are available for purchase on an individual basis for $35 for a 20 minute lesson and $50 for a 30 minute lesson. Lessons can be scheduled from this page, as well as at the front desk. A coach will be assigned to you depending on developmental need, coach specialty, and availability. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!