Durham, NC. August 12-16: Nationally Competitive “Rising Stars” Sabre Camp. The first nationally competitive elite sabre camp of its kind in the United States, based on the belief that the best of American Fencing has yet to come–and that diversity is the strength of American fencing. Creating a way to work together in a highly competitive environment will determine what American fencing’s long-term legacy will become. Participants must be open to blending traditional camp formats with other cross-disciplinary approaches and must be competing in, or aspiring to compete in, the collegiate, national (Cadet, Junior, Div I), or international fencing scene. A few ways this camp will be different:
- Knowing that competition can bring out the best and worst in us all, we will work hard to provide a safe environment which supports the athlete’s individual drive towards achieving his or her full potential. The group will be trained to create and maintain a safe environment, allowing everyone to explore emotional, physical and psychological limits without fear of judgement or harm no matter what their pedagogical experience. Small groups will lead, share, and dissect tactics, footwork and strategies with the belief that in a truly collaborative environment, we will make each other better.
- We are here to train, not to compete on social media nor exploit you for the benefit of one club or one athlete. We will not be posting photos or video on social media.
- Our facility is a 6,000 sq. ft. air-conditioned dedicated space on a wooden sprung floor with a RePlay system and access to a local running course and field. Since this camp is a last-minute addition we will be sharing the facility.
- Inclusive coaching will be directed by Coach Jen Oldham. Oldham has researched competition, competed and coached at the elite international levels for Team USA, and maintains her license as a professional counselor in the state of North Carolina as well as being accredited as a master-level coach with the Academie D’Armes Internationale. We welcome other collaborating coaches, referees and athletes, who will be incorporated independently based on their strengths. Professional and/or developing coaches and referees who want to join us, please note: you must be Safesport cleared and on board with the mission and vision of the camp.
- Several hotels are within walking distance to our facility, as well as a grocery store and a variety of restaurants. Limited homestays are available.
- A detailed schedule will be emailed the week before camp. There will be three training sessions daily: 9am, 1:30pm and 6:30pm, ending at 4pm on Friday. The 1:30pm session will be focused on referee and coaching development.
- Registration for the full week is $425, $290 for members, and included in the All-Inclusive Team Membership Plan for the 2019-2020 season. Email Jen if you are a coach or referee and want to attend. email@example.com
“Individual commitment to a group effort – that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.” Vince Lombardi
Jennifer Oldham, M.S., M.d’A.
125 N. Gregson Street
Durham, NC 27701