We currently offer three ways you can learn this fantastic Olympic sport!
1) SMALL GROUP BEGINNER IN-PERSON CLASS
Join just for a brief introduction to this dynamic sport! Each participant will be assigned their own gear to use for the class duration. We are offering different classes by age group. Next sessions start soon:
Ages 7-11 Beginning Fencing Wednesdays, 2/17-3/24, 5:00-6:00pm. This class is for kids ages 7-11.
Ages 10-16 Beginner Fencing Wednesdays, 2/17-3/24, 6:00-7:00pm. This class is for youth ages 10-16 years of age.
We are learning in a “covid-safer” environment, “double masked.” Class size is limited to eight. Cost is $150 and you will have our own equipment to use for the duration of the class.
Sorry parents, there is no place to watch inside. Protocols, waivers and instructions on where to drop off/pick up will be emailed the week before class begins. Forms can be found on our “Forms & Links” page on our website, but will be emailed to you after you enroll.
These six-week sessions are by enrollment registration only. There are no drop-ins. Students must be pre-enrolled and confirmed in order to attend this class. You do not need to be a member to register.
2) Jump into Fencing Beginner Lessons. This is a custom program to support families and small groups. For these small group lessons, one of our professional coaches will teach fencing specific skills, talk safety, and carefully outline an at-home, age-appropriate practice plan parents or other adults can monitor for 2-4 people. A $220 fee includes equipment rental, two customized hour-long lessons, and as needed check-ins during the time between your two lessons. After your first lesson we will schedule the second lesson within the next two weeks. If you are sharing a lesson with someone from another family they will also need to read our protocols and sign our release also. Cost is the same no matter if there is one person or four persons receiving instruction. Before you sign up, be sure everyone is between the age of 7 and 80 years old.
3) Individual Lessons. You can also take fencing at your own pace with 1:1 instruction scheduled individually with a coach. Cost is $55 for an individual lesson. Lesson packages are available in packages of nine for $432.
To sign up for in-person Beginner Fencing, here is what you do:
- Read our Covid-safer Protocols for keeping fencing more safe during our pandemic, then fill out our Waiver and Liability Release and our Social Contract.
- Email forms to email@example.com with the subject line: “We are ready to get started!”
- In your email, tell us in which in-person beginner program you would like to enroll: Beginner Class, Jump Into Fencing package, or 1:1 Instruction.
- For the Beginner Class, also attach a completed Durham Bulls waiver with your other forms.
- If you are interested in the Jump Into Fencing package please tell us days of the week and times of the day that would work for your family or group.
- For 1:1 Instruction, indicate your best times for your first session. Also attach a completed Durham Bulls waiver with your other forms for lessons at DBAP.
- Check your email for enrollment confirmation and additional details!
- For the Beginner Class, a coach will reply with enrollment confirmation and additional information about payment and equipment.
- For the Jump Into Fencing package a coach will contact you to set up your first session.
- For 1:1 Instruction, a coach will work with you to schedule a time for your first session.
If you think you will want to do more, we will offer you a link to our Zoom class we think most appropriate to try out before you join as an Online Member. We also offer online introductions to fencing — email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
In the future, when we can, we will add beginning fencing camps. Check for more details later this winter.